Monday, July 27, 2009

16 & Pregnant


I had no idea it was this bad, but evidently 30% of American teen girls will become pregnant. I found out about this scary fact while channel surfing the other night, and landing on MTV's 16 and Pregnant. The particular episode I stumbled upon was the reunion episode, where all the different stories came back and discussed their stories with Dr. Drew. It was nice because you got a rundown of what each of their episodes would have been, and I feel as though I got out of 1 hour what I could've spent a whole season watching.

While the stories varied from inspiring (Catelynn and Tyler's adoption story) to scary (the horrible way Ryan shirks all his responsibility onto Maci, the loss of youth all these kids have to face), I thought it was worth a watch, and definitely something they should show to kids in Health classes instead of the ridiculous propaganda videos from the 80s that I got. So, if you've got some extra time, I would recommend checking this episode otu.

Finally, this show was on MTV, you know MUSIC Television. I know it hasn't really been about the music for a long time now, but at least this closing episode did have some great tunes - namely three of my favorite songs from Tokyo Police Club. The songs, "Graves," "Juno," and "Nursery Academy" were all on last year's excellent Elephant Shell LP, and they are perfect showcases of what Tokyo Police Club does so well - urgent, hook-filled (without being annoyingly catchy), 2-minute songs that get straight to the point and do it in style. Check below for some cool clips I've found for you.




Tokyo Police Club on MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment