Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Wylde Bunch Usher in Royal Pains

So I think I may have yet another new TV addiction. I guess it's a good thing that some excellent shows that I've loved (that means you, Kyle XY) are getting cancelled, because there are only so many things you can follow obsessively at once. What is this new addiction, you ask? Royal Pains on USA.

A couple of my friends who watch more shows on USA than I do had been telling me about this new show that looked great, so I TiVo'ed it (the pilot was June 4) for a rainy day...well, we have a lot of those here in the Pacific Northwest, but I didn't get around to watching it until last night and it was great! It stars Mark Feurerstein (of West Wing fame) as Hank Lawson, a doctor who has just lost his job, his fiancee, everything. His brother takes him to a glitzy party in the Hamptons, and there's a medical emergency there that he takes care of...and soon this leads to a gig as an on-call doctor to the wealthy. Good stuff, and I love how this show mixes drama with light comedy - I feel as though most shows today go one way or the other, but why can't I have my cake and eat it, too?

I've said it many times before, but it can't be overstated - good shows generally have good music. And of course, Royal Pains is no exception - this episode featured two of my favorite songs - "Shut Up and Let Me Go" by The Ting Tings, and one of my favorite new dance anthems, "Ain't No Love in the Club" by Wylde Bunch. I think all of you have heard plenty of "Shut Up and Let Me Go," (even though it still hasn't gotten old to me) so I'll leave you with a clip of "Ain't No Love in the Club" from the episode, as well as it's music video. 






No comments:

Post a Comment